Christmas CookiesBy Published: November 16th, 2014
I’m feeling really festive early this year. Maybe it’s because I can’t wait to put up our Christmas tree and decorate the house or because my sister and I have been crafty and making some bits for Christmas. Anyway I woke up this morning and decided to make some Christmas cookies and here they are below.
Ingredients needed to make the cookies:
100g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
100g plain flour
1tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients needed to make the icing:
400g icing sugar
2-3 drops food colouring
sprinkles if preferred
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale, light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, a little at a time, until well combined.
- Stir in the flour until the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 1cm/½in.
- Using biscuit cutters cut biscuits out of the dough and carefully place onto the baking tray.
- Bake the biscuits for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to harden for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. Stir in the food colouring.
- Carefully spread the icing onto the biscuits using a knife. Set aside until the icing hardens. You can also add sprinkles to your biscuits to make them a little more festive.
I hope you enjoy!